Banana-Stuffed French Toast with Streusel Topping
Treat the family to something special for breakfast, baked French toast with a yummy banana filling and a crunchy streusel topping.
2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 large ripe bananas, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
1 (1-pound) unsliced loaf egg bread, cut into 6 slices, each about 1 1/2-inches thick
2 cups milk
6 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds, toasted
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons water; stir until sugar dissolves. Cook about 2 minutes until mixture is foamy, stirring constantly. Add bananas; cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to small bowl; allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut 2-inch long slit in 1 side of each bread slice, cutting about 3/4 of way through bread and creating pocket that leaves 3 sides of bread intact. Divide banana mixture equally among pockets in bread.
- Whisk milk, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl to blend. Pour into large glass baking dish. Place bread in egg mixture and let soak 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place almonds in shallow bowl. Remove bread from egg mixture and coat both sides with almonds. Place bread on large baking sheet.
- Mix brown sugar, oats, flour and remaining 2 teaspoons cinnamon in medium bowl. Add remaining 1/4 cup butter and mix in until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over bread.
- Bake French toast until topping is golden brown and filling is hot, about 25 minutes. Transfer toast to plates.
- Serve hot with maple syrup.
Makes 6 servings.