Beef Breakfast Burrito
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Lime-Cilantro Cream: (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon freshly chopped fresh cilantro
12 ounces ground beef
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
4 large eggs, beaten*
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
4 (10-inch) medium spinach or plain flour tortillas, warmed
Salsa for accompaniment
- For Lime-Cilantro Cream: Combine ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef with bell pepper, onion, chile powder and cumin; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove beef mixture from skillet; keep warm.
- Combine eggs, water and 1 tablespoon cilantro in medium bowl. Spray same skillet with cooking spray. Pour into skillet; cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until scrambled, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, if desired. Stir in beef mixture and cheese; cook 1 minute or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon beef mixture evenly in a row across center of each tortilla, leaving 1-inch border on right and left sides. Fold right and left sides of tortilla over filling. Fold bottom edge up over filling and roll up; cut diagonally in half.
- Serve with Lime-Cilantro Cream and salsa, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
*1 cup egg substitute can be substituted for beaten eggs. Omit water.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.