Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Nothing gets you out of bed in the morning like the sweet, buttery smell of warm breakfast cake wafting through the house. With a dab of butter or jam, or simply on its own, this blueberry breakfast cake is sure to please.
1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 cup frozen blueberries*
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8-inch round baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a 1-cup measure stir milk, oil and egg. Pour all at once into flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in blueberries and spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until cake is golden and pulls away from sides of pan 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool on a rack, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve cake warm.
Makes 8 servings.
*Blueberries should be firmly frozen when used in baking.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 236 calories, 5 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat, 211 mg sodium, 29 mg cholesterol.
Recipe and photograph are courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council. Used with permission.