Breakfast Bread Pudding with Berry Sauce
Pudding for breakfast? Oh, yeah!
6 slices of cinnamon or raisin bread
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Dice slices of cinnamon/raisin bread. Place the cubes in 6 greased heatproof custard cups.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg. Divide evenly and pour over the bread cubes. Place the dishes in a roasting pan filled 1-inch deep with hot water.
- Bake in a 325°F (160°C) oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the center is set. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In small saucepan, heat maple syrup and butter until smooth. Stir in sliced strawberries, blueberries, lemon juice, and grated lemon peel; heat through.
- Unmold the puddings onto individual serving plates and serve with the fruit sauce.
Makes 6 servings.