Breakfast Casserole with Wheat Bread
Prepare this casserole the night before serving for a no-fuss morning.
1 pound breakfast sausage
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Grease the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage until no pink is showing. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl beat together eggs, milk, salt and dry mustard. Put bread cubes on the bottom of baking dish and top with sausage and cheese. Pour egg mixture on top, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake casserole for 45 minutes or until eggs are set and cheese is browned. Let sit 5 minutes before slicing.
Makes 6 servings.