Breakfast Oats & PB Sandwich Cookies
Breakfast oatmeal sandwich cookies filled with peanut butter make a great grab-and-go breakfast.
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups quick oats
1 cup peanut butter, cashew butter or almond butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- In large bowl, beat brown sugar, butter and shortening with electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add bananas; beat well.
- Add combined flours, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt; mix until blended. Add oats; mix until blended.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls 2-inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. With spatula or knife, spread into 2 1/2-inch circles.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
- To assemble, spread 2 teaspoons peanut butter on flat side of one cookie. Press second cookie over peanut butter.
Makes 24 breakfast cookies.