Breakfast Potato Boats
Recipe courtesy of Mr. Food.
2 large Idaho® Russet potatoes (12 to 14 ounces each, cut lengthwise)
1 tablespoon butter
8 large eggs, beaten
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 to 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Scrub potato and pierce skin several times with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 55 to 65 minutes, or until tender. Let cool 5 minutes, then slice in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2-inch thick shell.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat, scramble eggs until firm.
- Evenly divide eggs into potato halves and sprinkle with tomatoes, bacon , cheese and green onions.
- Place on baking sheet and heat in oven 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Save the scooped out potato and mash with a bit of butter, salt, and pepper. Then simply pan-fry it for a double bonus.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 334; Total Fat: 19g; Cholesterol: 448mg; Total Carbs: 22g; Protein: 19g; Sodium: 325mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.