Brie and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Creamy Brie cheese turns the typical breakfast casserole into an extraordinary breakfast casserole.
1 (8-ounce) round Brie*
1 pound ground hot pork sausage
6 white sandwich bread slices
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
7 large eggs - divided use
3 cups whipping cream - divided use
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Garnishes: chopped green onions, freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Trim rind from Brie, and discard; cut cheese into cubes, and set aside.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well.
- Cut crusts from bread slices, and place crusts evenly in bottom of a lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Layer evenly with bread slices, sausage, Brie, and Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk together 5 eggs, 2 cups whipping cream, and next 4 ingredients; pour evenly over cheeses. Cover and chill mixture for 8 hours or overnight.
- Whisk together remaining 2 eggs and remaining 1 cup whipping cream; pour evenly over chilled mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour or until casserole is set. Garnish, if desired.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
*2 cups (8-ounces) shredded Swiss cheese may be substituted.