Cheddar Cheese Soufflé
Serve this light and airy soufflé as an elegant vegetarian main dish.
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups (6-ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
4 large eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly butter a 1 1/2 to 2-quart soufflé dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt and hot pepper sauce and whisk constantly for 1 minute; mixture should bubble but not brown. Continue whisking while adding milk in a slow, steady stream. Cook until thick, whisking occasionally; do not boil. Add cheese and remove from heat (cheese should not be totally melted).
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl. Pour directly into saucepan, whisking constantly until well combined; set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold about 1/4 of the egg whites into cheese mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining whites.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.