Cheddar Waffles with Savory Syrup
Not just for breakfast, these hearty cheddar waffles with a savory herb-infused maple syrup are great for dinner.
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups whole, low-fat or skim milk
1 cup ( 4-ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 large egg whites
1 cup maple syrup
1 whole bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Preheat a Belgian or standard waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200ºF to keep waffles warm before serving.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, combine egg yolks, melted cooled butter and milk. Stir liquid and dry ingredients together and add cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter until barely blended.
- Spoon batter into waffle iron covering about two-thirds of the grid surface. Cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Place waffles into heated oven uncovered until ready to serve.
- For Savory Syrup: Place above ingredients in a heavy saucepan, stir and heat until boiling. Lower heat and simmer about five minutes. Remove bay leaf and pour syrup over waffles.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.