Cheesy Sausage Strata
Wake your family up with this hearty breakfast dish. Serve with fruit cups and hot coffee.
1/2 pound pork sausage
1/2 pound Mozzarella cheese, grated
2 cups leftover bread cubes
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Grease a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate or a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Brown and crumble sausage in a large skillet; set aside.
- Spread bread over bottom of dish, top with sausage and grated cheese.
- Beat together remaining ingredients and pour over cheese and sausage.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 220 calories, Protein 16 grams, Fat 14 grams, Sodium 468 milligrams, Cholesterol 142 milligrams.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.