Cherry Macadamia Nut Pancakes
Tender buttermilk pancakes with plumped-up dried cherries and crunchy macadamia nuts, served with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup dried cherries; soaked in 1 cup hot water 10 minutes and drained
1/3 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
Sweetened whipped cream
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in a second bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Mixture will be slightly lumpy.
- Heat greased griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375°F (190°C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.
- For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed, bubbly and dry around edges, sprinkling 1/2 of the cherries and nuts evenly over pancakes before turning to cook other side until golden brown.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining cherries and nuts, topped with a dollop of whipped cream.
Makes 16 pancakes.