Chocolate Pistachio Coffeecake
This chocolate and pistachio-filled coffeecake will make a delicious addition to a Sunday brunch buffet or holiday breakfast.
3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (0.25-ounce) package quick active rising yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup each water, sugar and butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons natural California pistachios, finely chopped
Chocolate Pistachio Filling:
3/4 cup chopped natural California pistachios
1/2 cup vanilla cookie crumbs
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- For Coffeecake: Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast and salt. Heat milk, water, sugar and butter to 120°F (50°C); add vanilla. With electric mixer at low speed, beat milk mixture into flour mixture; beat in eggs. Mix 3 minutes at medium speed. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour by hand to form soft dough.
- Knead on floured surface about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place about 20 minutes.
- Punch down. On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Spread Chocolate Pistachio Filling to within 1-inch of one long edge. Roll jelly roll fashion spread from long edge. Pinch to seal edges.
- Place on greased baking sheet; slash at 2-inch intervals to within 1-inch from center. Twist each section slightly. Cover; let rise 20 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) 30 to 35 minutes or until roll makes a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom. Cool on rack. Brush with glaze and sprinkle with finely chopped pistachios.
- For Chocolate Pistachio Filling: Combine pistachios, cookie crumbs, melted butter or margarine, sugar, cocoa and cinnamon; mix well. Makes 1 1/2 cups filling.
- For Glaze: Heat to boil corn syrup, water and cinnamon. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the California Pistachio Commission.