Cornmeal Crêpe Fajitas
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix
3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups hot water
1 cup cooked beef, chicken or steak cut into strips (a great use for leftovers)
1 (1.27-ounce) package fajita seasoning mix
Sautéed Pepper and Onions:
1 green pepper, seeded and cut into slices or strips
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into slices or strips
1 onion, cut into slices or strips
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup shredded lettuce
Salsa and guacamole for garnish (optional)
- For Crêpe Batter: In a medium bowl, beat together cornmeal mix, eggs and water until well combined.
- Heat a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Pour 1/4 cup batter into hot skillet, tilting pan and rotating to cover bottom of skillet. Cook until it's browned on the bottom, and bubbles appear across surface of crêpe. Turn crêpe, continuing to cook for about 30 more seconds. (One side of the crêpe will be darker than the other.) Remove from skillet, place on plate and layer foil between each crêpe; keep warm.
- Fajita Filling: Combine steak and seasoning with 1/4 cup water and cook over low heat to warm, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- For Sautéed Pepper and Onions: Sauté pepper and onion slices (or strips) in a skillet in oil over medium heat until softened.
- To Assemble: Place a crêpe on dinner plate, fill with 1/4 cup steak, top with 1/4 cup of pepper and onion mixture and 1/4 cup of lettuce. Roll and top with salsa and guacamole if desired. Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 425; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 189mg; Total Carbs: 46g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 19g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.