Cornmeal Flapjacks with Dried Plums
Serve these hearty cornmeal pancakes, with chopped dried plums, topped with butter and maple syrup or powdered sugar. Recipe created by Norman Van Aken.
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
5 ounces dried plums, chopped
Suggested accompaniments: Butter, maple syrup and/or powdered sugar
- In medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well. Set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and butter. Add to dry ingredients, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in dried plums; let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat lightly greased griddle or skillet over medium heat until hot.
- For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Cook second sides until golden brown.
- Serve warm with maple syrup or powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 12 flapjacks.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Dried Plum Board.