Cranberry-Almond Coffee Cake
This almond-scented coffee cake has a layer of cranberry sauce in its center with a drizzle of sweet icing on top.
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 (8-ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then add the almond extract. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and then add to the batter. Stir yogurt into batter.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter in a greased bundt pan. Add the cranberry sauce and swirl through the batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and fresh cranberries, or drizzle with a white glaze.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Iowa Egg Council.