Creamed Eggs in Toast Cups
A creamy white sauce adorns this hard-boiled egg dish served inside toasted bread cups. Add some fruit and a cup of coffee to complete this morning meal.
4 large hard-boiled eggs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 slices white bread, crusts removed
3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400° (205°C).
- Peel 1 egg and slice in half lengthwise; carefully remove yolk, crumble and set aside for garnish. Peel and chop remaining eggs with extra egg white; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt butter; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, pepper and chopped eggs.
- Brush both sides of each bread slice with the melted butter and press into individual custard cups. Bake until lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove toast from custard cups and place on serving plates. Spoon egg mixture into toast cups and sprinkle on reserved yolk.
Makes 4 servings.