Crisp Corn Bread Waffles
These crisp cornmeal waffles with smoky bacon and drizzled with sweet maple syrup is a taste combination sure to wake up sleepy taste buds.
10 strips of bacon
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
2 large eggs
Maple syrup for accompaniment
Butter for accompaniment
- In a skillet fry strips of bacon until crisp. Remove and drain; reserving the drippings. Add oil.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In another bowl, combine milk and vinegar; set aside for 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs in a mixer bowl. Add the reserved bacon fat and milk mixture. Add the cornmeal mixture and crumbled bacon. Mix well.
- Bake in a waffle iron according to the package directions. Serve with maple syrup and butter.
Makes 5 servings.