Serve this Italian-style egg and bread casserole, made with cubes of Italian bread, eggs, zucchini, onion, bell pepper and mozzarella cheese for brunch or dinner.
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 small red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 cups cubed Italian bread
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish; set aside.
- Cook and stir onions, zucchini and bell pepper in butter in skillet over medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes; until tender. Set aside.
- Mix bread cubes and cooked vegetables in baking dish. Top with cheese.
- Mix eggs and milk; season with salt and pepper as desired. in small bowl; pour over bread mixture.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until browned and knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes 4 servings.