Eggs Florentine with Creamy Cheese Sauce
This delicious baked egg, spinach and three cheese dish, served with a creamy cheese sauce, is a wonderful entrée for brunch or dinner.
9 large eggs
2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Creamy Cheese Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For Eggs Florentine: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Generously butter a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Beat eggs slightly; add cheeses and butter and mix well. Stir in spinach and nutmeg.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven at for 45 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- To serve, cut into squares and top with Creamy Cheese Sauce.
- For Creamy Cheese Sauce: Melt butter; stir in flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add milk, stirring constantly until sauce begins to thicken and bubble. Stir in cheese and seasonings. Remove from heat once cheese is melted. Makes about 4 cups.
Makes 8 servings.