Fancy Egg Scramble
A creamy, cheesy scrambled egg, green onion, mushroom and Canadian bacon casserole with a buttered bread crumb topping.
4 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
1/4 cup chopped green onions
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
12 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 cup (4-ounce) shredded process American cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 (3-ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Sauté Canadian bacon and green onions in 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bacon is lightly browned and green onions are tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; add beaten eggs, and cook, without stirring, until egg mixture begins to set on bottom. Draw a spatula across bottom of pan to form large curds. Continue cooking until eggs are firm but still moist (do not stir constantly). Set eggs aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, 1/4 cup melted butter, and paprika; set aside.
- Add reserved cheese sauce and mushrooms to reserved egg mixture. pour into a lightly greased 11 x 7 x 1 1/2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved bread crumb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.