Farmhouse Corn Cakes
These hearty, double corn cakes are great served for dinner topped with chili with beans, as well as for breakfast served with butter and maple syrup.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Before using corn, cook fresh ears and cut from cob or thaw frozen corn.
- Sift flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt together together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and butter; add to flour mixture, stirring gently. Fold the corn into the batter.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or skillet over medium heat (375°F / 190°C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.
- For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until surface is covered with bubbles and appear dry around the edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.
Makes 10 (4-inch) pancakes.