Florentine Brunch Casserole
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
Non-stick cooking spray
4 cups cubed French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped Canadian bacon or lean ham
2 cups shredded 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese
8 large eggs
2 cups skim milk
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Layer bread pieces, spinach, onion, ham and cheese in casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, thyme, salt, mustard and nutmeg; blend well. Slowly pour egg mixture into baking dish.
- Bake immediately, or cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove cover before baking. Bake until casserole is golden, puffy and center reaches 160°F (71.1°C), about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes before serving. Top each serving with sour cream, if desired.
Makes 7 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/7 of recipe): Calories: 315; Total Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 271mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 552g; Sodium: 886mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.