French Toast Pockets
Serve this bacon-stuffed French toast with fresh fruit, powdered sugar and maple syrup.
12 large slices day-old French bread, 1-inch thick
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
12 strips bacon, cooked
- Make a pocket in each bread slice by cutting halfway through each piece 3/4 of the way down into the top crust.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, orange juice, vanilla, cinnamon and salt; reserve.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Insert cooked bacon into each slice of bread. Dip bread in egg mixture and cook on both sides until golden brown. Repeat until all bread slices are cooked, adding more butter and oil if necessary.
- Serve immediately with fresh fruit, powdered sugar and maple syrup, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.