French Toast with Apricot Sauce
French toast served with a spiced apricot sauce and topped with sliced almonds.
2 (15.25-ounce) cans apricot halves, undrained
1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 slices whole wheat bread
1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Drain apricots, reserving syrup. In small saucepan, combine reserved syrup, sugar (if desired), cinnamon and nutmeg; stir in cornstarch mixture, mixing until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 4 to 6 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Slice apricots; add to sauce. Heat through; cover and set aside.
- In shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla until blended.
- Lightly coat large skillet with vegetable cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
- Dip bread into egg mixture, turning to soak both sides; place in skillet. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- Cut each into 4 triangles; arrange on serving plates. Spoon apricot topping over toast; sprinkle with almonds, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the Canned Food Alliance.