French Toast with
Peaches and Mascarpone Cream
This elegant version of French toast makes breakfast a special occasion.
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
Butter, for cooking
12 slices high-quality white bread
1 cup water
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
Butter, for cooking
8 peaches, peeled and sliced
1 cup (8 ounces) heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) tub mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- For the French Toast: Combine the eggs, milk, and cardamom in a bowl large enough to accommodate the bread slices, and blend until smooth.
- Over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and fry a few slices for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Reserve in a warm place. Repeat the process until all of the bread is used, adding more butter as necessary. Do not crowd the slices.
- For the Syrup: Combine the cup of water with the brown sugar and the chopped ginger. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Strain the syrup through a wire sieve and reserve. This step may be done in advance.
- In a sauté pan, melt a small portion of butter to coat the pan bottom and sauté the peaches until just warm. Add the reserved ginger syrup and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and reserve.
- For the Mascarpone Cream: In a stainless steel bowl, whip the cream with the tablespoon of sugar and the vanilla extract until it forms soft peaks.
- Place the cheese in a second bowl and fold in one-third of the vanilla cream mixture to blend the cream and the cheese. Add the remaining cream and blend gently again until incorporated. Avoid over-mixing. Chill the cream until serving time.
- To serve the French toast, cut the reserved toast slices diagonally and arrange them in the centers of twelve individual serving plates. Spoon some of the peach compote onto the French toast. Top with the mascarpone vanilla whipped cream.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.