German Pancake 1
A traditional German pancake, oven-baked until puffed and golden, served sprinkled with powdered sugar and a drizzle of fresh lemon juice.
4 large eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Sift together flour and salt. Add alternately with milk to beaten eggs a
little at a time while beating briskly.
- Melt butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet, tilting skillet to coat sides well. Pour in batter and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes reducing heat to 350°F (175°C) after 10 minutes. Pancake is done when it is puffed up high above the sides of the pan and has turned golden brown.
- Slide pancake onto plate, butter, sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and drizzle lemon juice over the sugar.
Makes 2 to 3 servings.
Note: The pancake will fall quickly and will be quite dense.