German Apple Pancakes
German-style pancakes made with sautéed apple slices and served sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
4 cooking apples (Fuji, MacIntosh, Granny Smith, Gala)
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Peel, core, and slice apples very thin.
- In a heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter; add 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir until dissolved and browned lightly. Add the apples and cook until lightly browned, but not mushy. Transfer to a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Stir in beaten eggs, milk, and vanilla; beating until the batter is smooth.
- Heating 3 tablespoons butter as needed in a frying pan or skillet. Combine a small amount of the batter and apple. Add to skillet to cook. Tilt the pan to spread the batter evenly. Flip over when the bottom is lightly browned and cook the other side. Fold any loose apple into the center and arrange on a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
Makes 4 servings.