German Puffed Pancake with Spiced Apples
Sautéed apples are spread over a warm, oven-baked pancake, which is then rolled up, cut into slices and sprinkled with powdered sugar to serve.
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
5 apples, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, flour, and salt. Beat for 3 minutes with a electric mixer on medium speed.
- Preheat the oven to 475°F (245°C).
- Melt butter in a heavy oven-safe skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F (175°C) and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. When the center puffs, pierce with a fork. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a platter.
- Sauté sliced apples in butter until soft. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread sautéed apples over the warm pancake. Roll up and cut into slices. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Makes 4 servings.