Greek Breakfast Pockets
Feel free to serve this delicious breakfast sandwich anytime of the day.
1/2 cup Greek-style (thick) unflavored yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
4 ounces bulk sausage (Greek, lamb or pork)
1 small onion, diced
1/3 cup Greek olives, diced
3/4 cup wild mushrooms, chopped
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, packed
6 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup (about 4 ounces) Wisconsin Feta Cheese, crumbled
2 pitas, halved crosswise
- In small bowl, stir together yogurt and lemon juice; set aside.
- In nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring frequently and crumbling for 2 minutes. Add onions, olives and mushrooms; cook 4 minutes more.
- Add spinach leaves and cook until wilted and sausage is fully cooked, about 1 to 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and cook, stirring constantly until almost dry.
- Remove from heat and stir in Feta.
- Stuff each pita half with Feta-egg mixture. Serve immediately with lemon yogurt.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Line pitas with additional spinach leaves, if desired.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.