Homemade Low-Fat Granola
Simple flavors - oats, almonds, cinnamon, apple juice and maple syrup make a hearty granola chock-full of natural goodness.
For the Granola:
4 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
1/3 cup sliced almonds
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup fat-free milk, per serving
Fresh berries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Stir together oatmeal, almonds, cinnamon and salt, if desired, in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk maple syrup, apple juice and vegetable oil; pour over oatmeal mixture and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Spread mixture in an even layer onto a 15x12-inch baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring twice during baking time.
- Cool mixture in the pan before adding raisins. Store granola in an airtight container.
- To serve: Pour 1 cup of milk over a heaping 1/2 cup of granola. Top with fresh berries, if desired.
Makes 9 servings of granola.
Serving suggestion: Instead of milk, top 1 cup of fat-free yogurt with the granola.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/9 of recipe): Calories; 320; Total Fat 6 g; Saturated Fat 1 g; Cholesterol 5 mg; Sodium 105 mg; Calcium 35% Daily Value; Protein 16 g (8 grams from dairy); Carbohydrates 53 g; Dietary Fiber 5 g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of 3-A-Day of Dairy.