Idaho® Potato Breakfast Torta
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jim Barnett of the Westin in Cadillac, Michigan.
3 cups Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/8-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups Vidalia onions, cut into 3/8-inch cubes
4 to 5 cups olive oil (preferably extra virgin)
6 large eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Manchego cheese (optional)
- Cover potatoes and onion with olive oil in heavy-bottom saucepot. Simmer on stovetop over medium to medium-high heat until potatoes are just tender, about 8 minutes Occasionally, stir carefully to prevent potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Drain and reserve 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Mix potatoes and onion with eggs, parsley, salt and ground black pepper.
- Preheat 10-inch nonstick saucepan on stovetop with reserved olive oil on medium heat. Pour in potatoes, onion and egg mixture, smoothing out mixture with a rubber spatula. Gently shake pan, using rubber spatula to keep mixture from sticking to sides, until eggs begin to set (approximately 5 minutes), being careful not to brown eggs.
- Place pan in 300°F (150°C) preheated oven until mixture is completely set (12 to 15 minutes). Be careful not to overcook, as torta will be rubbery with overcooking. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes and carefully invert onto plate or cake circle.
- Cool to room temperature and slice. Serve with shaved Manchego cheese.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 188; Total Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 160mg; Total Carbs: 12g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 318mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.