Kiwifruit Sweet Omelette
A puffy omelet filled with cinnamon-sugared sliced kiwifruit and dusted with powdered sugar.
3 to 4 California kiwifruit, pared and sliced
4 large eggs, separated
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Sprinkle kiwifruit with 1 or 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and a dash of cinnamon in shallow dish. Let stand 20 minutes; turn occasionally.
- Beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 tablespoons powdered sugar; beat until stiff.
- Beat egg yolks until thick; add lemon peel. Fold into whites.
- Heat butter in 10-inch over-proof skillet.* Stir in 1 tablespoon powdered sugar and dash cinnamon. Pour in egg mixture; smooth surface. Cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until eggs are puffed and set and bottom is golden brown.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) 10 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Loosen edge of omelet. Make a shallow cut, slightly off center, through top of omelet. Arrange kiwifruit mixture over larger section. Fold smaller portion over kiwifruit. Serve on warm platter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve hot. Recipe can be halved; cook in smaller pan.
Makes 4 servings.
*Or, cover handle of skillet with aluminum foil.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Kiwifruit Commission.