Low Sodium Breakfast Tacos
Breakfast tacos for a crowd. Recipe courtesy of Minnie Batten, Food Assistant at Shawnee High School in Shawnee, Oklahoma.
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
3/4 teaspoon thyme
4 cups liquid eggs (or 16 whole eggs, beaten)
2 pounds Idaho® hashbrowns
1 (24-count) package corn tortillas
1 pound diced cooked turkey
Picante sauce for accompaniment (optional)
Shredded low-fat cheese for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine hashbrowns and oil, mixing well. Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Spread hashbrowns evenly in pan and bake for 20 minutes until browned.
- Coat a 12-inch sauté pan with nonstick spray. Scramble eggs with onions and peppers. Add turkey, potatoes, sage and thyme. Mix well and heat through.
- Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup mixture, fold in half. Microwave for 20 seconds.
- Serve with picante sauce, topped with cheese, if desired.
Makes 24 servings.
Note: Nutritional information does not include the use of whole fresh eggs.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): Calories: 270; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 135mg; Total Carbs: 42g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 12g; Sodium: 390mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.