Make Ahead Stuffed French Toast
Expecting overnight company? Give yourself more time for visiting in the morning by preparing this tasty breakfast casserole the night before. This makes a great dish for holiday breakfast and brunch buffets, too!
30 to 36 (1/2-inch) French bread or baguette slices (12 ounces total)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup strawberry preserves
8 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Spread 1/2 of the bread slices with cream cheese and strawberry preserves and top with remaining bread slices to make little sandwiches. Arrange sandwiches in greased 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Whisk eggs in medium bowl until foamy. Stir in milk, pineapple, orange juice, orange peel, vanilla and salt. Slowly pour egg mixture over bread; press bread into egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake in center of oven until puffed, golden and knife inserted near centers comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): calories: 389; total fat: 11g; saturated fat: 5g; polyunsaturated fat: 2g; monounsaturated fat: 4g; cholesterol: 205mg; sodium: 560mg; carbohydrates: 59g; dietary fiber: 1g; protein: 14g; vitamin A: 563.4IU; vitamin D: IU; folate: 93.3mcg; calcium: 121.3mg; iron: 2.6mg; choline: 145.1mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board (AEB) and Egg Nutrition Center (ENC).