Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
4 round slices whole grain country bread
4 large eggs
1/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese (1-ounce)
1/4 cup fire-roasted salsa
- Spread butter evenly on both sides of bread slices. Cut a circle from center of each slice, using a 2 to 3-inch round cutter.
- Place 2 bread slices in large nonstick skillet with oven-proof handle, then heat to medium. Break and slip an egg into center of each slice. Cook until bottoms of eggs are set, 2 to 3 minutes; gently turn over. Cook until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese onto each bread slice. Broil 4-inch from heat just until cheese is melted, about 1 minutes Repeat to cook remaining eggs. Serve with salsa.
Makes 4 servings.
- Centers can be cut from bread slices using a glass with a 2 to 3-inch diameter.
- Bread centers can be pan-toasted separately and eaten along with eggs-in-a-hole.
- To make handle oven-proof, wrap it completely in aluminum foil.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 219; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 234mg; Total Carbs: 13g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 10g; Sodium: 321mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.