Mrs. Harrington's Chocolate Chip Coffeecake
"This great desert was made by Mrs. Harrington, a family friend back in 1976. We have only reduced the sugar content to make it less sweet." - Submitted by Briana Blair from Augusta, Maine.
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brewed black coffee
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups (12-ounces) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a large bowl combine sugar, oil, coffee, flour, salt, baking soda, vanilla, eggs and cinnamon.; mix until smooth.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan , or 3 muffin pans. Sprinkle chips on top evenly.
- Bake muffins for about 15-20 minutes, per pan, at 400°F (205°C). The 13x9x2-inch baking pan will take about 20 to 25 minutes, also at 400°F (205°C).
- Check doneness by inserting a wooden pick in an area with no chocolate chips; if it comes out clean, it is done.
Makes 15 servings.