Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
1 cup refried beans
1/4 cup salsa - divided use
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Mix beans and 2 tablespoons salsa in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through; keep warm.
- Beat eggs and water in small bowl until blended.
- Coat 7 to 10-inch nonstick omelet pan or skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edges.
- Gently push cooked portions from edges toward the center with inverted turner so that uncooked eggs can reach the hot pan surface. Continue cooking, tilting pan and gently moving cooked portions as needed.
- When top surface of eggs is thickened and no visible liquid egg remains, spread bean filling down center of omelet; sprinkle with cheese. Fold sides over filling with turner; slide onto plate.
- Top with remaining salsa. Serve immediately.
Makes 1 serving.
For More Servings: Multiply the ingredients by the number of servings you need. Use 1/2 cup of the egg mixture for each omelet.
Lighter Option: Recipe can be made with reduced-fat cheese, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 recipe): Calories: 450; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 456mg; Total Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 14g; Protein: 31g; Sodium: 1354mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.