Orange-Oat-Nut Griddle Cakes
Orange oatmeal and nut pancakes served with a simple orange sauce made with orange marmalade and orange juice.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts*
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon grated orange peel (optional)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup orange juice
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder and salt in a large bowl, mixing well. Stir in pecans.
- With a fork, combine milk, orange juice, egg, orange peel and oil in a medium bowl, mixing well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Heat griddle over medium-high heat, or preheat electric skillet or griddle to 375°F (190°C).
- For Orange Sauce: Combine marmalade and 1/4 cup orange juice in small saucepan; mix well. Cook and stir over low heat until hot; keep warm.
- Lightly grease griddle.
- For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.
- Serve with orange sauce.
Makes 12 (4-inch) pancakes.
*To toast nuts, spread evenly in shallow baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) 5 to 7 minutes or until deep golden brown.