Piña Colada Pancakes with Hot Rum Sauce
A terrific and delicious entrée for a tropical-themed brunch get-together.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup butter
4 teaspoons light rum or 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (15.25-ounce) can crushed pineapple
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flaked coconut
Additional coconut, if desired
Pineapple rings, if desired
- For Rum Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in half-and-half and butter. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in rum. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- For Pancakes: In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Drain pineapple; reserve syrup. Add water to syrup to make 1 cup of liquid.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, syrup-water mixture, milk and vegetable oil. Add to flour mixture. Stir only until combined; batter will still be lumpy.
- In small bowl, mix pineapple and coconut.
- Preheat griddle. Brush with oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto griddle. Sprinkle each pancake with 1 tablespoon pineapple mixture. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until underside is golden brown and surface is bubbly. Turn and cook 2 to 3 minutes more until other side is golden brown.
- Serve with Rum Sauce, additional coconut and halved pineapple rings, if desired.
Makes 16 pancakes.