Pineapple Upside Down French Toast
An appealing breakfast entrée perfect to serve at a brunch buffet, or to overnight guests as the dish can be made the day before. It's probably sweet enough served by itself, but go ahead and offer some warm maple syrup and butter to top it off!
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained, reserving 1/4 cup juice
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 (1-inch) slices of French bread
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat, then stir in sugar until dissolved. Add pineapple, stirring well to incorporate. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, half-and-half, reserved pineapple juice, salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish and spread pineapple mixture evenly over bottom. Dip bread slices into milk mixture and arrange in one layer on top of pineapple mixture. Pour any remaining milk mixture over all.
- Bake French Toast in middle of oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bread is golden.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Tip: Can be made a day ahead of time, covered with plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator. Remove the next morning and bake as directed.