Plum Upside-Down Baked French Toast
A fresh plum sauce makes a delectable base for this elegant French toast casserole.
6 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 slices French bread (1-inch thick, 4-inch diameter)
2 cups chopped ripe fresh plums
2 tablespoon water
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat eggs, milk, almond extract and vanilla in medium bowl until blended.
- Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture into 9-inch square baking dish. Place bread slices in mixture; pour remaining egg mixture over bread. Let stand, carefully turning occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine plums and water in medium saucepan; cook, covered, over medium heat until tender. Add sugar and lemon peel; mix. Spread in 8-inch square baking dish.
- Place soaked bread on top of plums.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and no visible liquid egg remains, 20 to 30 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Bread may be soaked in egg mixture, covered and refrigerated, several hours or overnight. Handle gently when arranging on top of plums.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): calories: 364; total fat: 9g; saturated fat: 3g; polyunsaturated fat: 2g; monounsaturated fat: 3g; cholesterol: 280mg; sodium: 431mg; carbohydrates: 56g; dietary fiber: 2g; protein: 16g; vitamin A: 718.7IU; vitamin D: 69.0IU; folate: 111.4mcg; calcium: 102.1mg; iron: 3.3mg; choline: 199.9mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board (AEB) and Egg Nutrition Center (ENC).