Puffy Omelet with Canadian Bacon Filling
Breakfast for two, serve this omelet with fresh strawberries, buttered croissants and good coffee.
4 large egg whites
4 large egg yolks
3 ounces sliced Canadian-style bacon, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (1-ounce)
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
5 teaspoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored; stir in Canadian-style bacon, cheese, half of the basil, and pepper. Fold yolk mixture into egg whites.
- In a 10-inch skillet with oven-proof handle, heat 2 teaspoons of the butter over medium heat till a drop of water sizzles. Spoon egg mixture into skillet, gently smoothing surface. Reduce heat to low; cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the bottom is golden.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in skillet cook mushrooms and green pepper in the remaining hot butter over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender. Add the remaining basil and tomato; cook 5 minutes or till liquid is reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Loosen sides of omelet with spatula. Make a shallow cut across omelet, cutting slightly off-center. Spoon filling over larger half. Tip skillet and fold the smaller portion of omelet over larger half. Slip omelet onto a warm serving platter. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 of recipe): Calories 390 calories, Protein 26 grams, Fat 28 grams, Sodium 908 milligrams, Cholesterol 606 milligrams.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Pork Board.