Rock Shrimp Sauce with Jalapeño Hoe Cakes
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
Rock Shrimp Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 (10-ounce) can cream of shrimp soup
1 pound peeled rock shrimp
1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
Jalapeño Hoe Cakes:
2 cups self-rising cornmeal
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 large eggs
1/3 cup jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
Butter or corn oil for frying
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives for garnish (optional)
- For Rock Shrimp Sauce: Preheat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic and sauté 1 to 2 minutes until golden. Add wine to pan and stir in soup; simmer 3 minutes stirring until smooth.
- Sprinkle shrimp with seafood seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add shrimp to sauce mixture and cook 2 to 3 minutes until opaque and cooked through. Slowly stir in half-and-half and lemon juice. Keep warm.
- For Jalapeño Hoe Cakes: In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and milk until well blended; add jalapeños. Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed and moistened. Let the batter set for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add oil to just cover bottom of skillet then heat over medium-high heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter for each hoe cake into hot skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes until tops are full of air holes; flip cake and cook until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and serve warm.
- To Serve: Spoon Rock Shrimp Sauce over Jalapeño Hoe Cakes and sprinkle with chives.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.