Sausage Puff with Lemon Sour Cream
Golden custard puffs, made with sausage, cheese and eggs are served with a luscious lemon cream sauce.
Lemon Cream Sauce:
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- For Lemon Cream Sauce: In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Chill until ready to serve.
- For Sausage Puff: In a medium skillet, cook sausage until brown, over medium-high heat. With slotted spoon, remove sausage and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine eggs with milk, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; beat until smooth; add cooked sausage and green onions; mix well. Divide batter among four greased, 4 1/2-inch tart pans.
- Bake uncovered in a 425°F (220°C) oven for 10 to 13 minutes until puffed and light brown. Top with cheese and return pans to oven for one minute or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately topped with Lemon Sour Cream.
Makes 4 servings.