Serve this delicious quiche with seasonal fresh fruit and mugs of robust coffee. This recipe can also be adapted to make small tart quiches for appetizers.
1 (9-inch) pastry pie shell
8 ounces bulk pork sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup light cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
Watercress sprigs (optional)
- Prepare pastry and set aside.
- Crumble sausage in medium skillet; add onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat till sausage is browned, stirring occasionally; drain well.
- Thaw spinach, drain well. Remove remaining moisture by pressing spinach between layers of paper toweling. Add spinach to sausage mixture; mix well.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly in pastry shell. Top with sausage mixture. In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, cream and salt; mix well. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and watercress, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 542 calories, Protein 17 grams, Fat 40 grams, Sodium 719 milligrams, Cholesterol 259 milligrams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.