Sausage Breakfast Burrito
Recipe courtesy of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council.
1 pound breakfast or bulk sausage
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 cup seeded and chopped green bell pepper
8 large eggs
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1 to 1 1/2 cups chunky salsa (optional)
- In a large heavy nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking sausage into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink. Drain well on clean paper towels. Keep sausage warm.
- Drain all but 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of pan drippings. Add onion and bell pepper to skillet and cook until vegetables are soft. Wipe skillet clean. Keep vegetables warm.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, water and pepper. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, add egg mixture stirring for 3 to 4 minutes or until eggs are scrambled and set. Keep warm.
- Layer 1/3 cup sausage down center of each warm tortilla, leaving 1-inch border at ends. Top each with equal amounts of vegetables, scrambled eggs and cheese.
- Fold bottom edge up over filling and fold right and left sides of tortilla over filling. Roll up tightly.
- Serve with salsa, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council.