Cooked crumbled breakfast sausage baked inside waffle batter is surprisingly good, especially when paired with the complimentary flavor of maple syrup.
1/2 pound breakfast sausage
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Butter for accompaniment
Maple syrup for accompaniment
- Crumble sausage into a medium skillet; cook over medium heat until browned. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, milk, and melted butter.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Cook in a hot, well-oiled waffle iron, sprinkling the sausage over each waffle. Repeat.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
Makes 6 servings.