Scrambled Egg Casserole 1
Breakfast casseroles that are prepared the night before are convenient entrées to serve, because they free you from the fuss and muss of preparation on the day it's baked and served.
2 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup (4-ounce) shredded processed American cheese
1 cup cubed ham or Canadian bacon
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 dozen eggs, beaten
1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup melted butter
2 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon paprika
- For cheese sauce, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour and cook 1 minute. Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add salt, pepper and cheese and stir until cheese melts and mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Sauté ham and green onion in 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet until onion is tender.
- Add eggs and cook over medium heat, stirring to form large, soft curds. When eggs are set stir in mushrooms and cheese sauce.
- Spoon egg mixture into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Combine 1/4 cup melted butter and the bread crumbs, mixing well. Spread evenly over egg mixture and then sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate casserole overnight.
- Uncover and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.