Sonoran Breakfast Empanadas
Recipe courtesy of Chartwells Higher Education (Compass Group).
2 pounds chorizo sausage
16 ounces whole eggs (8 large eggs)
1 pound Idaho® potatoes, peeled and shredded
8 ounces green chile peppers, diced, drained
12 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups)
4 puff pastry sheets, frozen
3 ounces egg wash for pies
- Cook chorizo thoroughly and drain the liquid entirely from the sausage. Chill.
- Scramble eggs in a skillet coated with cooking spray and cook thoroughly. Remove eggs and chill.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chilled sausage and eggs. Add the defrosted breakfast potatoes, diced green chiles and cheddar cheese.
- Defrost the puff pastry sheets. Cut the puff pastry sheet into 15 each equal squares.
- Fill each square with the egg filling. Fold over one half of the puff pastry to form a triangle. Seal the empanada using a fork.
- Brush each empanada with egg wash and place on sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) until product is golden brown.
- Remove the product from the pan and place on serving plate; can be served with a variety of sauces or dips such as strawberry jalapeño jam.
Makes 30 empanadas.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.